Friday, April 04, 2008

Finnish Language and its Verbs

I find the verbs of the Finnish language quite easy compared to other languages, especially to romance languages (Spanish, French and especially Romanian). The pattern is so regular in Finnish that one can automate their conjugation. Of course, there are exceptions, which must be treated separately, but all in all, they are a piece of cake compared to other languages (exclude English ;-)

So I searched the internet, I studied all the groups, exceptions and more... and after a few weeks of work I have created an automated Finnish verb conjugator. But I did not stop here... as similar tools were available on the internet (see http://www.verbix.com). Conjugation is not a big deal compared to the reverse engineering of the conjugation process.

I remember, when I was at the beginnings with my Finnish studies, I had big troubles looking up a verb in the dictionary, guess why? Because the dictionary has only the basic forms (very seldom some conjugated forms which are used as adjectives and so on). So I extended the functionality of my conjugator with the reverse recognition of the Finnish verb forms.

You are welcome to try it out. Go to this page:
http://www.dictionar-finlandez.net/main.php?page=verbs
and start firing!

and remember to post your critics, if any.

Have a nice weekend!

2 comments:

Antonia said...

Awesome job,(lasand engleza 5 minute) merci pentru Finnish verb conjugator- cu intarziere de un an :) sa spunem doar ca trebuia sa ma apuc de finlandeza in regim urgent, intr-un an trebuie s-o invat/sa o visez ( at least do my best to). Cls a12-a ma asteapta acolo, la International School of English cu tot cu cele 3 procente de panica (no need to, but oh well).Just curious, in cazul in care esti acolo, in the nice, almost frosty Finland, cum ti se pare totul?

Mamun said...

Thanks for your good thoughts! And I look forward to catching up with everyone!


teach finnish