Monday, March 20, 2006

The "Different" Finnish Language

When I first came to Finland, for four days, I was confused at the moment I got out of the airport. I understood nothing of the language... Naturally, the first texts I saw in this new language were those on the general signs: Ulos (Out), Sisäänkäynti (Entrance), Keskusta (Center), Lentoasema (Airport), etc.

None of them looked similar to the words in any other language I knew. I was thrilled... but then very surprised to see that everybody spoke English, despite (or I should say maybe due to the fact that) their language was so different.

During those four days I was listening to the language (of people speaking on the street or on TV) with the ear of a child hearing just sounds, not able to distinguish where a word or a sentece started or ended, just a flow of sounds. The only thing I managed to get is probably the tonality, the melodicity of the language (if Finnish has one). I was only hearing an endless sound flow of T:s and S:s, and A:s and I:s and E:s between them. Nothing more.

Now, after more than five years of living in Finland and speaking the language, I wish I could listen to it as during those four days... The only way I can still realize how Finnish sounds to a complete foreigner who does not speak at all this language is trying to remember those four days.

Generally, I have no problems in speaking and understanding it, though spoken language is sometimes still challanging. I have had many challenges in the learning process, many ups and downs, but in the end all the effort was worth it. I got rtid of the frustration of not understanding a word of what people speak, of what my coleagues are chatting during the coffee breaks, of what the different documents I receive at home from various institutions say.

So I decided to post some oddities of the Finnish language I've come accross during this past few years.

No comments: